People tend to try some pretty unsavory things when they believe they’re good for them.
New mothers eating their own placentas after they give birth is one of the nastier ones that comes to mind, but there are much, much worse things that people ingest for the supposed health benefits attached.
Not only do people eat gross things for medicinal purposes, though, but they also put themselves through disgusting processes that may not even work. Here’s just a small sampling of the most nausea-inducing practices.
1. In Chinese culture, many people eat leeches, believing it will help treat strokes, high blood pressure, and bruises.
2. Tiger penis soup is an Asian dish that many cultures believe enhances male masculinity. It is also considered to be an aphrodisiac, improving sexual performance.
3. Ear candling is an alternative medical procedure that people use to remove wax buildup. One end of a candle is placed in the ear canal, while the other is lit, supposedly creating a vacuum that draws out impurities. The catch? This can cause injuries like burns and even perforation of the eardrum.
4. Some celebrities use urine therapy, or urotherapy, for a supposedly wide range of health benefits, including immunization against allergies and treatment of calluses. This involves rubbing your own urine on your skin or even drinking it. However, there is no scientific evidence that proves it is therapeutic.
5. Fecal microbiota transplant is the process of taking fecal material from one healthy person and introducing it to another patient by means of an enema, colonoscopy, or disgustingly enough, by mouth in the form of capsules containing the freeze-dried material.
This has actually been proven to be an effective treatment for people with Clostridium difficile infection, which causes diarrhea, fever, nausea, and abdominal pain. It is becoming more and more popular in North America and Europe.
Is anyone else skipping their next meal after reading that?
Read more: http://www.viralnova.com